SES Letter to Parents
Nell Holcomb R-IV School District
6547 State Highway 177
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
(573) 334-3644 Darryl Pannier, Superintendent
(573) 334-9552 Fax Mary Boeller, Principal
October 10, 2011
Mathematics Tutoring for Your Child!
Dear Nell Holcomb R-IV Parent/Guardian:
As a result of the federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act, your child can receive free Supplemental Educational Services/academic tutoring in Mathematics to help him or her do better in school.
You can choose a tutoring program that best meets your child’s needs from the list of approved Supplemental Educational Services (SES) providers in your area. The program will provide your child with tutoring that is coordinated with what is being taught in school and may help improve your child’s academic skills. Research from the federal government has shown that students who participated in this free tutoring program made significant gains in student achievement, and those students who participated in multiple years did even better.
The list of SES providers/tutoring programs gives you a description of each program, qualifications of the tutors, and information about each program’s effectiveness. It also indicates the programs that serve students with disabilities or limited English proficiency, and the languages other than English the staff can speak.
When deciding which SES provider/tutoring program is best for your child, you may want to ask these questions:
- When and where will the tutoring take place (at school, home, and a community center)?
- How often and for how many hours in total will your child be tutored?
- What programs, by grade levels and subject areas, are available for your child?
- What type of instruction will the tutor use (small group, one-on-one, or on the web/Internet)?
- What are the tutors’ qualifications?
- Can the tutor help if your child has a disability or is learning English?
- Is transportation available to and from the location where the tutoring will take place?
Please call Becky Stein at 334-3644 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the SES providers/tutoring programs. Enclosed you will find a list of state approved SES providers. If you are interested, you can fill out the enclosed Provider Selection Form and send it back to your child’s teacher. Please indicate your first, second, and third choice of providers. Provider Selection Forms are due Monday, October 17. After you submit your form, you will receive letter from the school informing you on whether or not your child is eligible to receive these services.